Snapshots of Life

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Merry Christmas

It is now about 1:25 am MST. Yet another graveyard. The time is passing rather slowly, mostly because I don't have the normal homework to keep me busy in between my rounds every couple of hours. Tonight I have been mixing a little reading with some movie-watching. In the midst of my reading I came across an encouraging quote by C.S. Lewis.

"No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time. We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home. But the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out, the clean clothes in the airing cupboard. The only fatal thing is to lose one's temper and give it up. It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us: it is the very sign of His presence."

This quote reminded me of another statement, which is part of an incredible talk, made by Elder Bruce C. Hafen of the Quorum of the Seventy.

"So if you have problems in your life, don't assume there is something wrong with you. Struggling with those problems is at the very core of life's purpose. As we draw close to God, He will show us our weaknesses and through them make us wiser, stronger. If you're seeing more of your weaknesses, that just might mean you're moving nearer to God, not farther away."

Generally I am a bit discouraged as I see - and begrudgingly acknowledge - my innumerableable weaknesses. I get pretty stressed out over the slightest amount of dirt. My uncle used to say that I could play in a pool of mud and come out clean. While I certainly don't want to be playing in any figurative mud pools, I can be encouraged by my muddy tatteredness at times. Discovering another spot of dirt or a deeper stain can be viewed as an invitation to climb higher. There's no way I can keep "picking [myself] up each time", except that warm towels and clean clothes await.

Merry Christmas to everyone in the blogosphere!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Thank you for those encouraging words. It was something I really needed to hear right now.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Ceej! Also, have a WONDERFUL kwanzaa, mkay?

Happy kwanzaa to all!

Shelley said...

followed a trail of bloggers and found your page =) I really like your quotes and they truly spoke to me this afternoon as i read them. I'm in the time of getting bak up and any encouragement is always helpful =) Thx again, i'll have to come back by sometime.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... vinyl pants How do you quit smoking drugs online buy butalbital without a prescription Snort vicodin Web conferencing site Seroquel + blood clots Pilates w krakowie quitting smoking quotes Muscle performance supplements 1995 land rover discovery review Spy bot popup blocker Hot fucking mature black females Gmc+rubber+floor+mats Account loan maryland payday savings http://www.cheap-but-nice-wedding-dresses.info blocker+mozilla+pop+up Gm oldsmobile heads Cheap insurance companies Antidepressants in the early 1960 Camping domaine de la forge