Snapshots of Life

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Care for a swim? Beware of drowning!

Recently I have been tempted to go for a swim. Nothing wrong with a little swim, right? Except that the pool that is pulling me is called self-pity. There are no benefits from exercise in this body of water, only drowning. So, I am trying to count my blessings and open my eyes to the tender mercies of God. Sometimes I forget to appreciate the little things that are seemingly insignificant. Consider for example a clear crisp winter day after the inversion has lifted. How about a new haircut and being able to feel the cold air on your big 'ole head! My personal favorite are the moments that you briefly glimpse that you are in the right place - and that it's a good place. The other night while walking over to campus at a very late hour to finish an assignment I had procrastinated for far too long, I had such a moment. The night was dark and the ground was wet from the rain and snow. Few people were on campus and all was very still compared to the rush of activity that is such a part of this place during the day. The clouds were parting after the storm and the stars could be seen above the snow covered mountains that surround this little "Happy Valley". As I walked toward the library, hands in my pockets and eyes toward heaven, I felt something. I felt that subtle and gentle feeling that I have come to recognize as the Spirit of God. I sensed that the feeling is always present in this place, but it took the quiet wintry night to allow it to touch me. In that moment I knew that I was in the right place - and that it is a good place to be!

4 comments:

Jeje said...

I've been to that swimming hole! Far more than I'd like to admit. I love, however, that the love of the Savior is always nearby waiting to remind us of our blessings, our purpose and our worth as soon as we are willing to open our eyes and see it.

B said...

Don't get in....the water is dark and cold and it is hard to get out once in because you lose a lot of feeling.

Step away from the hole!

Make a phone call instead to those that you know love you. You don't have to say much, but sometimes it is the needed boost.

I love you!! :) Remember how we are only 40 minutes away?!?!

Sarah said...

I hate that stupid hole. Believe me, it seems easy for too many of us lately. I think you should know that I think are just about the raddest ever. Much love!

American Girl said...

We all love you up here ... just remember as you always remind me ... Chin Up! Chin Up! Hana Hana Hana!