Snapshots of Life

Monday, August 15, 2005

ATTN: Mr. Devil

One of my favorite stories of President Grant, 7th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, recounts a small exchange he had with temptation. One day he went to his meat cellar to pick a ham that was to be donated to his ward for some type of function. It was Pres. Grant's policy to always give the best to the Lord. As he began to look over the hams to determine which he might give, he had the thought (surely initiated by "Old Nick" as he called him), that he could give the smallest and poorest ham. Afterall, this was a donation and no one would really know, or for that matter care. Just as the thought crossed his mind, he immediately recognized it for what it was and said aloud, as if there was someone there with him, "Shutup Mr. Devil or I'll give 'em two hams!"

I would not be so stupid or presumptuous as to call the devil on. Heaven knows I don't need more influence from the "dark side". But, I'm feeling a bit like President Grant in wanting to tell Mr. Devil to shutup! So, Mr. Devil I put you on notice. Let it be known you ugly, miserable, piece of crap that I hate you! You are a sly one, that's for sure, and you might get me here and there but I am not coming to your side. Your cunning trickery can be clever and at times tempting, and you may even be smarter than me, but you've been exposed by One smarter than you. You can trip me up and prompt me to fall all you want, you cursed beast, but I will continue to get up every time and turn to my Master. I chose Him once and I will choose Him again, and again. I know your plan, you want me to believe that I am a piece of crap like you, and that you don't really exist, but I know better. Just know Mr. Devil that when you bring on the darkness I will go to The Light. When I am deceived, I will try to find sight. When I am bruised, I will seek healing succor. You, my enemy, are not invited to be a part of my life. So, get lost and shutup, you pathetic, evil, loser or I will double my efforts to do good. That's all I have to say to you.

8 comments:

Jeje said...

Amen! Funny, my thoughts have run along the same lines lately. Hope all is well with you. I love you, my friend.

Sarah said...

Wow. Well said. Thanks for the reminder of whose side I want to be on.

B said...

I have a similar statement for the devil. I actually at times say right out loud, "You know you aren't going to win with me, so stop trying and go away." If anything it reminds me where I stand and whose I am. It strengthens the knees, hands and resolve.

Thanks for sharing. I love you!!

Kate said...

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I just want to yell at everyone, when really I should be yelling at Mr. Devil to pack his bags. He doesn't live here!

American Girl said...

I think sometimes I need a reminder when it comes to Mr. Devil, he is so sneaky sometimes I don't realize that it's his voice I am hearing.

Mi Mi said...

I like that storie. There are many times in my life when I should and when I need to tell 'mr devil' to shut up. A lot more recently infact.
I want to live my life like the compliment given to Sheri Dew...so that the devil will say, "oh great, she's awake again" every moring I wake up.
Also, at certain stages in my life my mom would tell me not to let the devil rent space in my head. That helps me out at tims. Great blog and something I needed to hear. It definitely makes you think a lot. Thnx.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! cost online marketing Detector microsoft spyware Free headsets org state farm home insurance Poker room software tightpoker Vballs paintball florida lottery Medical malpractice law firms ny Venlafaxine hcl2c birth control2c interaction http://www.web-advertising-7.info/Monterey-internet-advertising.html