Snapshots of Life

Thursday, July 14, 2005

To see clearly

There was once a little boy. The boy was a little bit different than the other kids on the block and they didn't always understand him, but he was a good kid with a good heart. He always did the best he could, though sometimes it was perceived wrong. One day there was a fight between the boy and his friend - it was a stupid fight, but at the time it was everything. The boy was partly in the wrong, even though he didn't mean to be - he couldn't see the whole picture. There was no way for him to understand the hidden pain felt by the friend. The boy wasn't at the top of the popularity pole of the neighborhood at the time and so the kids on the block rallied to the friend to defend at all costs. The boy was left alone to the viciousness that sometimes comes out in kids. They teased him, they roughed him up, they poked at him in ways that were intentional, and on one occasion they even threw things at him while they laughed and taunted. These were really good kids who were partly right in their claim, and justified to defend their friend. Afterall, they had been hurt too - but they didn't see the whole picture either. They didn't really mean to hurt anybody. They never did see the secret sobs of a little boy caused by kids who he needed to be his friends.

I've thought about this scenerio from time to time and I realize that the playground can be pretty rough for everyone. I won't say what side I was on in this situation, but it kills me to think that it didn't have to be that way. If only I could have seen more clearly when I was so convinced that I knew what was going on and that I was right.

3 comments:

B said...

Welcome home friend!! I hope you don't have too much of a sunburn!!

The playground would be a much kinder place if everyone were willing to be honest. Perception becomes reality (judging, especially based off one side is extremely hazardous) and stubborness becomes pride. There is only One who ever has the FULL story and knows the hearts of each of His children. Ours is to forgive and remember that nobody is perfect. It is also to be remembered that we need to take into account our own responsibility for the situation. Then we have to decide whether or not it is dangerous (spiritually, emotionally) to place ourself back into the situation.

Kate said...

Kids (and adults) can be pretty brutal. The advantage we have now is the ability to talk things over rationally... However, I think too often we choose to revert to our childhood and just stamp our feet and pout. It's a lot easier just mope and let the hurt feelings take over than it is to go to the other party and say 'I was wrong about this and I'm sorry. It's your choice to forgive me or not, to continue on as my friend or not. Whatever you decide though, I want to make sure that the air is clear.'

The people who've had the guts to do that to me are people that I truly respect. Those who've chosen tantrum over truth are a little harder to take seriously.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! camphor camping equipment http://www.bankruptcy-taxes-penalties-401k-loan-post-petition-debt.info/Fishing.html cool fishing game Jefferson co tex fishing pears shelter island fishing san diego spain travel book Fishing jet boat Alumacraft fisherman 145 Big game saltwater fishing Gay sex hairy dads personals