Snapshots of Life

Monday, July 18, 2005

Junk Happens

Saturday afternoon, just an hour before my scheduled blind date, I was sitting at the computer working on some stuff for the upcoming school year when I heard the skid of tires and a crash. This is not too uncommon, as I live close to two fairly major roadways, so I didn't think much of it. Then my brother came in the house and had that look. You know the look, his face and body language suggested that something was not right. He was livid.

My mom asked, "what's wrong?"

To which he replied, "I just crashed!"

I of course jumped up from the computer and started to make my way outside with the rest of my family. My brother began to recount what had happened. In short, he was pulling away from the curb and was hit by an old lady in an SUV, who was far too old and far too blind to be speeding around the corner. She was going so fast that when she slammed on the breaks and gas at the same time (yeah, that was dumb too), she slid into my car, which was innocently parked in front of the house. My poor car, and worse, my poor brother! He felt awful and apologized profusely, even sending me a text message while I was on my date. It is horrible to get in an accident - the initial shock, the embarassment, the police, the tickets, the onlookers, the damage, the insurance, the bills, not to mention the potential for injury. I feel more bad about him being in the accident than I do about my car. Life's too short to get bent out of shape about a car that's bent out of shape. I'm just grateful that it wasn't any worse than it was. So, when ya'll see my crumpled hood and broken headlight - that's the story!

3 comments:

American Girl said...

The positives are ... at least you weren't in your car when it happened. And at least your brother is okay. There is always a bright side to most stories, it is just about looking and finding it.

Sarah said...

Aw man! That super sucks! So sorry to hear about your car and brother. That is never fun at all. I have never been a huge fan of car accidents. I mostly hate it when its your fault. Glad to hear everything is still good.
I think I might need to hear about your blind date though, maybe next post? Just sayin'

Kate said...

Makes me feel less sorry for myself about my stupid Service Engine Soon light being on.