Snapshots of Life

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Where two or more are gathered in my name...

Do you all remember my substance abuse class? Well, I have been sober, 100% clean from soda pop, for about 3 weeks now! It actually has been kind of hard, especially when I am craving something sweet to drink and it's right there in the fridge tempting me. Tonight though, I had the opportunity to learn something about real addiction. Another requirement in the course is to attend two Alcoholics Anonymous meetings over the course of the semester, one an LDS version that is modified to be Christ centered and the other a traditional community meeting.

We met in a small room in a local church building. Two former addicts turned missionaries sat at the head of the circle and led the group. 5 ordinary individuals came into the room and sat down in a tight circle. One by one they bore their soles. A silver haired grandma fighting a drug addiction for over 30 years can't remember her kids growing up. She's ready to quit and find joy in her grandkids. A mother of 6 with an alcoholic husband in denial wonders what to do. A court ordered prescription drug abuser doesn't want to go to jail. A quiet young guy with a hat over his eyes doesn't want to lose his wife and 3 little girls who have simply had too much. Each told their story. "My name is....and I'm an alcoholic..." We laugh about that line sometimes but I'll tell you something, I was touched by the humility and courage of that admission. I dare say that a lot of us think we are above that kind of struggle...but we're not. I wondered if I was that willing to recognize my weakness before God and man, and admit that I am powerless without Him who can remove it. My self-righteousness gave me a stomach ache. These people may be alcoholics and addicts but they are first and foremost children of a kind God, and tonight He reached out and touched them...and me too.

5 comments:

Jeje said...

What a beautiful, humbling experience.

Kate said...

Speaking as the niece of an alcoholic, and as the good friend of a prescription drug abuser, I have seen very clearly in my life that just because someone struggles with these things does not make them a bad person. Heavenly Father loves them. I can't imagine what that meeting must have been like. The courage to be open about such enormous problems is amazing to me. It sounds like you had a beautiful experience.

Sarah said...

I am amazed at people's humility in those situations on a very regular basis. I really liked this post.

Jumo said...

Imagine a God, who can use something like a drug addiction... To bring people to the point of death, to give them a life they never thought to ask for.
I was addicted to Crystal Meth for 3 years, and when it brought me to deaths doorstep God met me there, on that hospital bed, and His strength was made perfect in my weakness. I now work at a long-term drug rehab called Teen Challenge. The power of God to save lives... If I had to do it all over again to find this relationship with the living God, I would. Because it is worth it.

Blessings.

-Jumo

Anonymous said...

Encouraging comments. God Bless us all