Snapshots of Life

Monday, June 20, 2005

Crossing the Bar

It has been far too long since I have posted! Today was somewhat of a somber day. The father of one of my good friends from high school passed away on Thursday due to renal cancer at the age of 58. Today his funeral services were held and he was laid to rest. As I talked to my friend, who was there when his father finally slipped through the veil, he expressed mixed emotions. The cancer had been taking its ugly toll for the past 2 years, the past 6 months allowing no normal function or mobility. With death came the end of considerable pain and suffering, but also the life and personality of a husband, father, and friend.

As I sat through the service today, which was presided over by Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, I contemplated this phenomenon we call death. To be honest I am fascinated by it all; not in a weird, morbid, psycho way, just in the process and what it all means. I looked over at my friends little baby girl who arrived just under two months ago and thought about what it must be like to come into the world and what it must be like to leave it. I was grateful for the knowledge we have through the gospel that life continues beyond death and that the resurrection is a reality! In some ways I view death with anticipation - I mean who can wait till there's no more temptation, pain, sickness, etc? Who can wait to meet those who have gone before and be reunited with those we've lost? In other ways I fear separation from my family and loved ones, and being taken before I am prepared.

That thought led me into contemplating the question. Am I prepared? Well, I will spare you the internal dialogue, but I think it is a good question to ask every once in awhile. I was touched as Elder Scott spoke to the family of this very good man. He promised them that their husband and father would be near to give guidance, support, and comfort when it was needed. He taught that he is closer and more aware than we would tend to recognize. I think about times, sacred times, when I have felt that closeness to those I love who are on the other side. I know that what Elder Scott taught is true! As a missionary I taught that "death is an essential part of the plan of happiness", and so it is. I hope when the time comes for me, preferably in my sleep when I am like 90 something, I will be as prepared as the man we honored today.

1 comment:

B said...

I'm sorry to hear of the loss. I have lost a lot of loved ones in my life. From a tender age I had to gain a testimony concerning the reality and truthfulness of the plan of salvation. What an amazing, perfect plan it is! I do not fear death. I rejoice when a loved one who has been suffering on this earth passes through the veil and is released from that pain.

Although there is a sorrow from the now missing physical presence of that individual, there is great joy knowing that they are still very much present in my life. I have had many personal experiences with the veil being incredibly thin and feeling their love and guidance.

What joy will be present when the day comes and I will be met by them as I pass from this life and see them once again on the other side of the veil. Holding to the truths of Eternal Families will help the sorrow of the moment become peaceful.

Love you my friend!!