Snapshots of Life

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An exercise in empathy

Today was the first day of school. I am taking a class on substance abuse. In an effort to engender empathy in us students for those who have abused substances and are working to overcome their addictions, we have received an assignment to abstain from consuming a substance of our choice for the length of the semester. This substance has to be something that will be challenging for us personally to give up - something that will tempt us to "relapse". In the past students have usually given up things like soda, candy, sweets, ice cream, salt, caffeine, etc. I have been thinking about what I should give up. I really want it to be an insightful experience for me so I want to choose wisely. I am leaning toward soda. I don't drink a ton, but I do drink at least a little everyday because we always have it in the fridge. I definitely have a sweet tooth, especially after meals, and a little "pop" as we Utahns say, always fulfills that craving. If not soda my next choice would be sweets, but I'm afraid that would be too hard through the Holidays. What would you give up?

4 comments:

David Cho said...

Internet!

Jeje said...

Wow, David, that would be really hard!

This is quite the question, Silent. I was thinking about the different things you listed and sweets seemed like the only one that would be a temptation for me. Especially, as you said, through the holidays. If it were me, I might give up something different than food although I can't for the life of me think of what. Sounds like a good learning experience. Let us know how it goes.

Kate said...

Sarah and I learned about giving up our shopping addictions last month, only, now that our abstinence from the mall is over, it seems we're eager to make up for lost time by losing our minds and spending all we saved!

Actually, I think that in my case, an addiction I should give up is grumbling. It wouldn't be easy, but I'm finding that the complainer in my nature is overdue for rehab of sorts.

American Girl said...

I did this for a month on my mission. I gave up carbonation, my one companion gave up soda too, and the other one gave up chocolate. The first soda after that month was the best tasting one I have ever had.

I do think that sometimes we take for granted just how easily accessible something like soda is. Everytime you eat out soda comes with your meal, you go to a friend's house and they offer it to you, or as in your case Silent it is readily available in your frig.

I have a feeling this class you are taking is going to be very interesting and you will learn a lot.